Villagers died of cholera, confirms DC

Deputy Commissioner M Lokesh said four residents of Maidolalu village in Bhadravathi taluk died of cholera.

Speaking to reporters here on Wednesday, he said stool and water samples sent to district laboratory had confirmed the outbreak of cholera in the village. Consumption of contaminated water is the cause of cholera. Water supply through existing pipeline is stopped and a new pipeline will be soon installed. Treated water is being supplied to the village through tankers, he said.

Lokesh said residents complained of gastroenteritis on February 11 at Maidolalu village and were admitted to McGann and a private hospital. Out of 54 cases reported, four, Panchappa (70), Hanumantappa (42), Shivappa (75) and Hussain Sab (58), died of cholera. The district administration has given a compensation of Rs 2 lakh to the members of the bereaved families.

He said a training camp for home guard aspirants was held in the village between January 29 and February 8. Due to the lack of adequate toilets, the home guards opted for open defecation. This might have led to water contamination.

The deputy commissioner said he had not received any letter from the National Human Rights Commission seeking a report on the incident.

***

Note from Kannada.Club : This story has been auto-generated from a syndicated feed from http://www.deccanherald.com/content/659544/villagers-died-cholera-confirms-dc.html