Building collapse at Kasavanahalli: Rescue operation over

BENGALURU: The rescue operation at a building collapse site in Kasavanahalli concluded on Sunday afternoon, nearly 72 hours after the tragedy that occurred on Thursday.

No bodies were found on Sunday after the rescue workers cleared all the debris and the death toll remained unchanged at four, with 15 injured.

The operation was jointly carried out by the officials of National Disaster Rescue Force (NDRF), State Disaster Rescue Force (SDRF), Fire and Emergency, BBMP and local police. The rescue teams earlier suspected that two people might be trapped under the debris.

On Thursday afternoon a five-storey under-construction building, which was meant to be a paying guest accommodation, collapsed and workers were present in it.

“The rescue operation was very tough and challenging as we had to cut the collapsed building part by part to ensure people trapped under the debris are not hurt. We suspected that some workers were in the first floor at the time of the incident and thus dug through the debris so that we could rescue them. But, luckily, Hazrath was the last worker to be rescued on Friday morning,” said a senior fire and emergency official.

Owner, son-in-law on the run
The special police teams formed to nab the owner of the building, Ondath Kunhi Mohammad, a Kerala-based businessman, and his son-in-law Rafiq, continues to be clueless about their whereabouts. 

Mohammad’s daughter Sameera was arrested earlier and the police are questioning her and Rafiq’s involvement in the construction project. 

According to police, Mohammad had handed over the General Power of Attorney to one Tanveer, to develop the property and undertake construction.

Tanveer and Krishnakanth Reddy were in charge of renovating the old building and converting it to a paying guest accommodation with 15 flats. Both have been arrested by the police.


Note from Kannada.Club :

This story has been auto-generated from a syndicated feed from .